Friday, April 15, 2011

Spring

These are a few things i found today around our area, young pine shoots, wood sorrel, chive flowers.
I talk a lot about "inspiration" with my close group of chef friends, where it comes from, the evolution of it and so on.   One thing I think really speaks to me personally is terroir, or, our sense of place, geographically and mentally. As i mature more as a chef I have learned to look for certain things in nature, the wood sorrel (oxalis) that grows everywhere because it actually classified as a weed, wild flowers, and just shapes that occur in nature, I let the ingredients around me inspire me, so naturally spring is the time of year when we chefs become the most inspired, i filled up an entire moleskin book last week just of dishes and ideas.   I think Elena Arzak said something to the affect of " we have to have the ability to be astonished by anything, and everything, much like a child" I think that is exactly it, Inspiration comes from wherever and however it can, we just have to learn to become aware of it when it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment